Review: The Raider by Monica McCarty

The Raider - Monica McCarty

SERIES: Highland Guard, #8

BLURB:

Of all Bruce's elite warriors, Robert "Raider" Boyd is the most formidable. A true patriot whose bare hands are a deadly weapon, Robbie is the fierce enforcer of the Guard, and his hatred of the English has been honed to a razor-sharp edge. But vengeance proves bittersweet when his enemy's beautiful sister falls into his hands and he finds himself fighting temptation—a battle he badly wants to lose.

Lady Rosalin Clifford barely recognizes the rebel prisoner she saved from execution six years ago. Though her girlish ideals for fairness have matured into a passion for justice, Rosalin believes she betrayed her brother when she helped this dangerous man escape. Now her traitorous act has come back to haunt her. But she can't deny the longing this tormented warrior ignites in her, or deny the passion that turns sworn enemies into lovers. Is the gentle love of a true English Rose enough to free Scotland's most brutal warrior from a path of vengeance—before it's too late?

MY THOUGHTS:

I don't read historical romance that often, but when I do it usually has or one or more of three elements: highlanders, medieval era, or paranormal.  This book had two of those three.  This is the first Monica McCarty book I've read but I don't think it will be the last. Even though this is Book 8 in the series, I didn't feel lost. I could tell some of the other supporting characters had their story told in previous books, and though it would certainly have been nice to  have read the series in order and know more about these other characters, it wasn't absolutely necessary to enjoy this book.

As far as the historical aspect of the story goes, I'm not a history buff and I read more for the romance than the history, so don't know (and honestly don't care that much) about the accuracy of historical details. Speaking of the romance, I liked the way it was slow to develop and the characters had to work towards it.

I actually read this book a couple months ago so I've lost a lot of the smaller details but I do remember that overall I liked it. One thing that did disappoint me was the lack of a Scottish brogue in the dialogue. I've always considered that one of the yummy bits of a highlander romance so, yeah... disappointed there. I just had a hard time remembering that Robbie was a highlander and I had to keep reinventing the character in my head. If anything keeps me from going back to start the series from the beginning, it would be that. Outside of that, I enjoyed the story.

(I received this book for free from the publisher via LibraryThing in exchange for an honest review)