Review: Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews

Magic Bites -  Ilona Andrews

SERIES: Kate Daniels, #1

BOOK BLURB:

When the magic is up, rogue mages cast their spells and monsters appear, while guns refuse to fire and cars fail to start. But then technology returns, and the magic recedes as unpredictably as it arose, leaving all kinds of paranormal problems in its wake.

Kate Daniels is a down-on-her-luck mercenary who makes her living cleaning up these magical problems. But when Kate's guardian is murdered, her quest for justice draws her into a power struggle between two strong factions within Atlanta's magic circles.

The Masters of the Dead, necromancers who can control vampires, and the Pack, a paramilitary clan of shapechangers, blame each other for a series of bizarre killings—and the death of Kate's guardian may be part of the same mystery. Pressured by both sides to find the killer, Kate realizes she's way out of her league—but she wouldn't have it any other way…

MY THOUGHTS:

I have to admit that the beginning of this book was pretty slow for me.  I came close to putting it down. I persevered because so many people like this book I hoped it would get better... and boy howdy, it did!  I was also really curious for Curran to come into the story as he seems to get a lot of "favorite male character" votes. It took awhile for his first appearance, and even then it was brief but we see more of him as the story progresses. He kinda has that alphahole thing going on, but I love the way Kate doesn't take shit from him and even says things she knows will provoke him. Kate, as you can guess, is a kick-ass heroine and a smart ass. She seems to have some kind of secret she is keeping and I'm thinking this and her relationship with Curran is going to be a slow reveal throughout the books in the series.

I would like to have learned more about the world and why the magic came back and why it comes in alternating waves of magic and technology.  Perhaps this is something that gets built upon in subsequent books.  There is a dark feel to this world as well.  There are many supernatural creatures. Andrews takes a different direction with the vampires. They are almost zombie-like, driven by blood lust unless they are controlled by a necromantic navigator who uses them for their own means. Almost in a servant-like capacity.

So the book started out as a two-star for me at the beginning and then moved to a 3-star as things got a little more interesting and Kate started having more interactions with other characters, but ended up being a 4-star by the end. I was really glued to the book and spent most of the day finishing it up. I wanted to keep reading when it was done and even now keep getting an urge to pick up the next book.  When I looked up the other books in the series I realized I had the anthology that contained the prequel to this series, so I jumped right into that one. It is the story of how Kate and Saimen first meet when Kate is hired to be a bodyguard for him. This is actually briefly mentioned in Magic Bites. Saimen, who is a shapeshifter, as in he can shift into any shape not just one, was actually one of the first characters that really interested me. I hope he will show up in future books.

So yes, color me hooked. I will definitely be continuing this series.