The Second Half of Life

The Second Half of Life - Sionna Cailey Three dissatisfied woman use witchcraft to grant their deepest desires and change their lives. Each woman has a wish she wants fulfilled revolving around love, wealth, or fame. They discover they can get their wishes granted by conjuring a demon, but they also soon discover that nothing is free -- there is always a price to pay.As I was reading this book, it occurred to me that the "big picture" progression of this story could be summed up by a few common sayings:- The beginning: The grass is always greener on the other side- The middle: Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it- The ending: You can't always get what you want ...you get what you need.I don't think there was anything really new about this story. It is an old concept wrapped in a new package. This story has more of a chick-lit feel to it, like Sex in the City meets witchcraft 101. The three friends regularly meet at their favorite watering hole, Texas Bob's, to eat, drink, and commiserate...and in this case devise their witchy plans to make their wishes reality. The one point I can't seem to get past is why three smart, modern women would think that a demon would make a fair deal? That they would get their wishes and their cake too, and then the demon would slink back to where it came from and everything would be happy ever after. It just seemed like a TSTL decision that didn't suit the characters.I did actually enjoy the author's narrative and there were several instances where I appreciated a certain turn of phrase or a description (which says a lot coming from a dialogue-lovin' gal). The pacing was a bit slow for me at the beginning but it did pick up as the story progressed and by the end I can say I enjoyed it. I also liked the ending. I wouldn't call it an HEA exactly but then this really isn't a romance. Each character gets closure to her story in a way that I felt was quite satisfactory. The book didn’t end with a bang or a whimper but a contented nod of the head.My main issue with this book is not the writing style, not the dialogue, not the voice, not the plot....no, it is those darn typos. This book officially has the highest number so far at a whopping 53 by my count. I expect a few typos in any book I read, even traditionally published books; they just go with the territory. However, I do expect them to be limited in a published book regardless of whether it is a self-pub or traditional pub. Needless to say, this many typos became distracting. And yes, they can be fixed (and hopefully they will be for future readers), but this is the copy I got for review and was the latest version available at the time I read it, so I have to base my experience on that.This story is a retelling of a well-used theme that was enjoyable enough but would have been better with some more careful proofreading. It was still a decent read and I would recommend this book to readers who like stories that revolve around relationships, friendships, motivations, and lessons learned, but who also like a dash of the paranormal thrown in that supports the story rather than being the main focus.http://indieparanormalbooksreviews.blogspot.com/