Scary Mary (Volume 1)

Scary Mary (The Scary Mary Series) - S.A. Hunter As soon as Mary opened her mouth, I knew I was going to like her character. She is the school “freak” but doesn’t take guff from anyone, even the adults…or the ghosts. Then there is Cyrus, the new kid. I loved it when he totally dismisses the popular crowd and immediately takes an interest in Mary, much to her surprise. Cy ends up taking a trip to asshat land when spooky things happen in his house and he blames Mary for it. But then he has a redeeming moment that brings his character back into my good graces. I did think the whole jerk phase was a bit out of character for him so I felt it was only a matter of time before he came around.Don’t let the “Scary” in Scary Mary fool you. The cover has a dark tone and it is not something I would have been drawn to normally, but it really isn’t scary. This novella starts out with a light and snarky tone then takes a wee bit of a darker turn when the malevolent spirit in Cy’s house enters the story. However, there are some lighter paranormal elements like the playful ghost dog that takes a liking to Mary and just wants to play catch (I guess dogs don’t change much in the afterlife). There are also some other ghosts that are not so mean and actually help Mary along the way.The dialogue is snappy and snarky and helps the story move along at a good clip. The writing style was comfortable and it was easy to fall into the story. You have all the normal YA features: high school angst, mean girls (and boys), he likes me/he likes me not moments, and a quirky BFF. But you also get a ghost dog and a fortune-telling Grandma.Color me hooked -- I want to know what happens next! I want to know what happens with Cy and Mary, I want to know if the mean girl stays mean, I want to know if Kyle is affected at all by what happened and I want to see more of the ghost dog. I’m looking forward to seeing what ghostly situation Mary and her not-quite-Scooby-gang get into next. I’ll be waiting for the downloadable version but if you like reading on line, you can catch the next book, Stalking Shadows, which is available as a free online read. It is recommended that you read Scary Mary first.http://indieparanormalbooksreviews.blogspot.com/