Sample Review: Becoming Red by Jess Raven & Paula Black

Becoming Red - Jess Raven;Paula Black

Book Blurb:

‘You got me back. You always said you would.’

Ash DeMorgan, graduate, orphan, ice maiden, has long since consigned the fairytale nightmares of a troubled childhood to the realm of fantastical childish imagination.

Now, lured back to Dublin, the scene of her tragic past, Ash encounters a city pulsing under the dangerous sexual influence of a new street drug the locals call Rave. Nothing is as it seems. Ash is about to discover that her nightmares are real, ancient Irish myths are larger than life and roaming the streets of the medieval city, and she has become the prey in their erotic hunt. A step back into her past is about to become a high adrenaline race for survival.

Connal Savage, outcast, assassin, and living, breathing hunk of ancient mythology, has lived a thousand years servicing a debt of revenge. Dead inside. Until he encounters his boss’s granddaughter, an infuriating woman who threatens to lead him to hell with all his good intentions, who manages to chip away at the hard encrusted defences of a lifetime spent at war and burrow herself deep into a part of him that hasn’t breathed for centuries. He is about to discover that when it comes down to the wire, when you’re bargaining with the Grim Reaper for the life of the one you love, you will do anything...

Sample musings: A compelling cover and an interesting enough blurb prompted me to read the sample of Becoming Red. I didn't get very far in the sample before I put it down. The prose was overly descriptive to the point of being purple. There were often long sentences consisting of multiple commas that created a monotonous beat to the narrative. There was a sex scene in the sample that was so full of purple prose and euphemism that I wasn't even sure at one point if they actually "did" anything. I would have expected more direct language from a book using the term "erotic" in the tag line and description. One thing I did like in the short time I had with the sample was Connal's character.

Sample verdict: I will be passing on this one. The writing style didn't suit me and I don't think I could take a whole novel of it.

Cover Art: Good

The above thoughts are based solely on the sample reading and do not reflect a review of the entire book.