Review: Biting Nixie by Mary Hughes

SERIES: Biting Love, #2

BOOK BLURB:

Nitro? Meet glycerin...

A Biting Love Novel

Punk musician Nixie Schmeling is a hundred pounds of Attitude who spells authority a-n-c-h-o-r and thinks buying insurance is just one more step toward death. So she really feels played when she's "volunteered" to run the town's first annual fundraising festival. Especially when she finds out it's to pay for a heavy-hitting, suit-wearing lawyer--who's six-feet-plus of black-haired, blue-eyed sex on a stick.

Attorney Julian Emerson learned centuries ago that the only way to contain his dangerous nature is to stay buttoned up. He's come from Boston to defend the town from a shady group of suits...and an even shadier gang of vampires. But his biggest problem is Nixie, who shreds his self-control.

Nixie doesn't get why the faphead shyster doesn't understand her. Julian wishes Nixie would speak a known language...like Sanskrit. Even if they manage to foil the bloodthirsty gang, what future is there for a tiny punk rocker and a blue-blooded skyscraper?

And that's before Nixie finds out Julian's a vampire...

MY THOUGHTS:

Biting Nixie was a humorous read. One part made me lol. It was the "ack" scene...you'll know it when you read it. (Okay, I just reread it and it made me laugh again.) Anyway, it also had a good dose of smex. However, it did feel like it was trying too hard to be funny/sexy, which might be a side-effect of Nixie's character. At times she came across as a 25-year-old teenager and you will probably either love her quirky and rebellious nature or find her annoying. On the other hand, I don't think you can take this type of book too seriously. It is meant to be light and funny so some things will work in this book that wouldn't work too well in a more serious paranormal romance, such as the bad guys coming off as sort of slapstick and incompetent.

There were a few things that brought the rating down for me:

- Nixie-speak was hard to follow sometimes. I still don't know what the heck "daggy" means :/

- I didn't really buy into Nixie planning and executing a major event with only two weeks notice that is supposed to bring in $500K and then not doing much of anything about it until a few days in advance. The reality check bounced on this part.

- Overuse of the word "slew" in an uncommon way (well, it was uncommon to me) as in "Suitguy slewed me a look." I don't think I've ever seen this word used this way so it stood out to me and it was used a lot, so it stood out a lot and felt repetitive. And repetitive = annoying.

Overall, a good enough read and worth the time but I could also have put the book down and not really have missed it--just read the end for the HEA and be on my way. I liked the first book, Bite My Fire, much better. Since I liked the first book, I will be trying the other books in the series. My interest was piqued when Logan entered the story, but I hope the bad puns don't follow him into his book. :)

Source: My Personal Library