Review: Infinite Betrayal by Gayle Donnelly and Robyn Mackenzie

Infinite Betrayal - Gayle Donnelly, Robyn Mackenzie

SERIES: Blood Feud, #1

BOOK BLURB:

Mina Roarke had always been told she was special. In what way, she never fully understood until circumstances led her down a path of adrenaline-charged danger, blazing sexual heat and ultimate betrayal.

Mathias, a warrior for a secret shifter race known as The Coteri, has been ordered to protect Mina at all costs. Although his oath to protect her is paramount, can he rein in his animal instincts long enough to not claim the one person he’s forbidden to have?

MY THOUGHTS:

I'm giving this 3 to 3.5 stars. There were some things that pulled me out of the story but overall I still liked it and wanted to keep reading. ...My nitpicks:

- Overuse of the Mine! Mine! You're Mine! exclamations of possession. I expect these in a romance and even like them, especially in a paranormal romance, but when it is done constantly it loses its effectiveness and becomes annoying.

- Overuse of each other's names in the dialog.

- There was something about the style of the narrative that bugged me but I don't know how to sufficiently describe it.

- The constant endearments that Mina and Chloe used with each other felt overly intimate for BFFs.

- The ending felt abrupt. I was surprised when I turned the page and the next chapter was the epilogue.

- Sometimes actions or descriptions seemed repetitive.

Some things I did like: Tre and Talon, a couple of secondary characters (I think Talon will be the Hero in the next book) and I also liked the banter between Tre, Talon, and Mathias. There was also a twist I didn't expect. Even though I thought the ending abrupt, Mina and Mathias do get their HEA. However, a main conflict in the story is carrying on into the next book so not everything is resolved. I'm hoping Mina and Mathias will have some presence in the next book to get a little more closure and a sense of a continuing story, especially considering what happens at the end.

Note: There is a scene of rape/near rape (depending on how you personally define it) By the villain of the story, not the hero, that might be uncomfortable for some readers so be forewarned.

P.S. What the heck was going on with Mina's feet being stuck to the ground in the forest? I don't recall this being explained. Did I overlook it?