Sample Review: Hidden Gates by D.T. Dyllin

Hidden Gates (New Adult Paranormal Romance) (P.J. Stone Gates Trilogy) - D.T. Dyllin

Book Blurb:

For P.J. Stone, being a “Seer” who has never seen anything is less than fun. And P.J. isn’t known for her patience.

To make matters worse, she must choose a suitable mate to continue the Seer bloodline. Duty always comes before her heart…at least that’s what her parents taught her. When she finds herself wanting someone who is considered off-limits, P.J. is forced to question everything she believes.

As if navigating her love life isn’t complicated enough, P.J. finally receives a vision—of a threat to her world that only she can perceive. But no one will believe a fledgling Seer’s warnings. With nowhere else to turn, she may decide to trust a stranger with her life, her world, and maybe even her heart.

entire book.

Sample Musings: There are several types of characters in this paranormal world: Seers, Gatekeepers, Guardians, and Speakers. Though there was some minimal explanation about them, it wasn't described clearly in the space of the sample what each one does,buy you can probably get the gist from the titles. It was explained that Seers must date and mate Gatekeepers and it is verboten to do the same with Guardians. Bryn and PJ have been besties since they were kids. PJ is a Seer, Bryn is a Guardian. Bryn is crushing on PJ and PJ is clueless. PJ likes Evan, a Gatekeeper. PJ comes off as bit immature. Bryn is like a sad puppy because he seems to want to express his feelings for PJ but can't. I'm sensing a lot of romantic angsting. This is a New Adult book so I assume characters are older teen.

Though this book is on several dragon shifter type lists I don't see many reviews mentioning anything about that. I'm curious where the dragon shifter aspect comes into the story. The sample doesn't give much info about this world or what the Seer, Guardian, Gatekeeper, Speaker roles actually do to protect the world. I assume these roles will be explained more as the story progresses.

Sample Verdict: I liked the chemistry between PJ and Bryn. I liked Bryn's character right away, but worry that PJ might become annoying. I'm interested enough to want to read more.

Cover Art: Good

Sample Musings are based solely on the sample reading and do not reflect a review of the entire book.