Review: The Girl with the Cat Tattoo by Anne Frasier

Girl with the Cat Tattoo - Theresa Weir

SERIES: Cool Cat Trilogy, #1

BOOK BLURB:
For cat lovers everywhere, this sweet, quirky, and delightful romance is about a young woman and her matchmaking cat. A little bit of mystery, a whole lot of whimsy.

When a matchmaking cat takes it upon himself to find his young mistress a new mate, he accidentally stirs up memories better left forgotten.

Melody’s husband was murdered by what seemed a random act of violence. Two years later, the killer hasn’t been caught, and Melody is coping in unhealthy ways. During the day she’s a mild-mannered children’s librarian, but at night she’s a party girl, hanging out in bars, drinking with new friends, and often bringing home strange men. Although acquaintances have tried to keep in touch, Melody has cut herself off from most of the people in her old life. Max, her eccentric cat, doesn’t approve of her new friends, he’s tired of the parade of losers, and he finally takes it upon himself to find Melody a new man.

MY THOUGHTS:

I read the first chapter of this book as a short story from Smashwords a long time ago. The author said if readers liked it then she would consider writing more stories. I was one of those readers who said, "More please!" Well, I guess enough people liked it and this novella was the end result. I do appreciate the author listening to the readers and following through.

I really liked Max the cat and his antics. His part was told in first person so you get into his head and know what he is thinking. I think this part is what drove the story for me. However, the romance between Joe and Melody fell flat. There was an HEA and eventual "I love you's" but I didn't feel any romantic tension or sense of a building relationship. I liked Joe and Melody individually but as a couple the romantic connection just wasn't there for me. Also the bad guy and his eventual comeuppance felt anti-climactic. Overall I enjoyed the story but I would have liked it better if the romantic relationship was more developed.

Max has two siblings that are mentioned a few times in the story and I am guessing they might be the subject of the next two books in the trilogy. I'm still intrigued enough to check them out because let's face it... I'm just a sucker for a good cat-based story!

Side note: I just adore the cover art...so cute! And it's completely relevant to the story, too.

Word count: approx. 30,000 (Novella)
Kindle Locations: 1932 (story text ends at 98%)

Source: My Personal Library