Glimpse

Glimpse - Stacey Wallace Benefiel When I started to read this book I wasn’t sure what to expect. What started out as an unassuming, though enjoyable, YA romance with a light clairvoyant theme suddenly took me by surprise (and kept doing so throughout the book) and ended up being quite an engaging read.The point-of-view switches back and forth between Zellie (first person) and Avery (third person). Though I really liked seeing both perspectives, at times it was a little confusing since the switch often happens from one paragraph to another. With that said, I got used to it and it didn’t deter from my enjoyment of the story. The author’s “teenage” voice was fantastic and it was so easy to fall into this story.Glimpse starts with Zellie totally crushing on Avery, not realizing that Avery feels the same way about her. When they are finally coerced by their friends to step it up, the story really starts to get interesting. I lurved this scene and was absolutely hooked at this point:We loitered in awkward silence for what seemed like forever. I finally turned towards him to espouse some more of my wisdom, when a strong gust of wind blew past us, unleashing my crazy hair from my ponytail, and blowing it right into his face. I rushed to smooth it back again, but Avery grasped my wrist. "It's cool. It's not bothering me." He rubbed his thumb up along the inside of my palm. "Your hair is really soft. It's nice."Commence heavy sigh and warm fuzzies! Zellie and Avery are so likable you can’t help but root for them. In fact, all the characters in this book are well rounded and interesting. The plotting was very good with unpredictable twists that kept me guessing which way the story would go next. The climactic scene comes earlier than expected and reveals something quite intriguing about Zellie that sets up the remainder of the story. By the end of the book a new mysterious character will be introduced as well. As I approached the end of this book I was sure there was going to be a huge cliffhanger. I was wrong! Again! The author did a great job of wrapping up the story for this short novel and was even able to create a satisfactory HEA (at least for this book) while still creating a wee bit of a cliffhanger to make you eager for the next book in the series, Glimmer, due to be released November 2010. Yay!http://indieparanormalbooksreviews.blogspot.com/