Spiderwork (Apocalypto, #2)

Spiderwork (Apocalypto, #2) - L.K. Rigel The second book in the Apocalypto series, Spiderwork, shifts from being more of a space opera romance to more of a futuristic paranormal romance (see LK's guest post on my blog to find out more about the genre shift and why she decided to change the title and cover), but there is still a small bit of leftover modern technology existing alongside the old gods.The first couple of chapters pick up where Hero Material ends and gives the reader some background, describes the god Samael's cleansing fires, and sets up the changing world. The next chapter jumps in time to the "now" which is eight years later. One-fifth of the world's population has survived. The world is starting anew and has been thrust back into an older way of life with dynastic rule. Jake has become the leader of his own settlement.There are two romances going on here: Char and Jake are still together and in love but their relationship is established. However, Char must come to terms with how she will share Jake with a chalice. Durga is now grown up and the "Emissary" -- the chosen link to the goddess Asherah -- soon to reach the age when she must serve as a chalice to help repopulate a once sterile world. Her romance begins when she meets Khai, scion of Luxor.I struggled a bit with the first half of this book. There seemed to be a lot of politics and it wasn't really keeping my interest. The second half of the book was more interesting. It went faster for me and I started to fall into the story. There was more action and the setup from the first half of the book started to come together.There are some story elements that were hinted at in the first book that we learn more about in this book. In Hero Material we were introduced to the shapeshifting Empani but don't really get a clear idea of what they are. In this book we learn more about them, though they still confuse me a bit. I can’t tell if they are good or bad. They are Samael's creation and Samael is also another entity that I wanted to know more about. He is mentioned and referenced frequently in the book but never really shows up in the story. He and Asherah seem to work together at times and at other times they seem to be in conflict. Another story element we learn more about is Sky, Char's sister. Though you get some closure to that story thread, I'm not sure I was satisfied with it. Finally, there are the ghosts. I really liked the addition of the ghost, Alice, to the story line. I read LK's flash fiction story, Alice Ghosting, awhile ago and was glad to see her make an appearance in this book. I think I’m getting a handle on the “ghosts”.There were a couple of scenes that didn't seem to flow well for me and I had to reread them a few times to get that little movie in my head to play properly, but this might just be due to my interpretation.Oddly enough, considering the first book is more sci-fi, I liked Hero Material better. The story was wrapped up well for its size and I knew some of the story threads that were left hanging would be pursued in the next book. This book is also a novella on the longer end of the size range verging on a short novel. I don’t think Durga and Khai’s relationship was explored as much as I would have liked -- maybe because I get the feeling that this is the last we will see of Durga and Khai, and Char and Jake. As the book opens with a jump to the past, it ends with a jump to the future. From the descriptions of the next two books, Blue Amber (a novella) and Bleeder (a novel)... I think the story is moving on. I'm interested to see where LK will take us next in this world, so I'll definitely be continuing the series.http://indieparanormalbooksreviews.blogspot.com/