Review: Playing for Keeps by Avery Cockburn

Playing for Keeps - Avery Cockburn

Book Blurb:

Rule One: No Drama!

Fergus Taylor is damaged goods. Reeling from a brutal breakup, he’s determined to captain his LGBT soccer team out of scandal and into a winning season. For that, he needs strict rules and careful plans. He does NOT need a brash, muscle-bound lad messing with his head and setting his body afire.

John Burns has a rule of his own: Don’t get attached. Boyfriends are for guys with nothing to hide. Nobody—not his university mates, not the men he beds—knows his family’s shame. Now his double life is starting to unravel, thanks to a certain Highlander whose storm-riddled eyes turn John inside out, who wears a kilt like he was born in it.

Fergus is the first man John wants to share his secret with—but he’s the last man who could handle it. John knows the truth would shatter Fergus’s still-fragile heart. But how can he live a lie when he’s falling in love?

Note: The Glasgow Lads series contains dirty talk with a Scottish accent, naughty bits of a gay nature, and characters who call soccer “football.”
Approximately 95,000 words/325 pages

~~~

My Thoughts:

Playing for Keeps is a M/M romance set in Scotland against a backdrop of football (soccer) and religious sectarianism. I read primarily paranormal romances so I don’t know why I was drawn to this book, which is a contemporary sport-themed romance… oh who am I kidding?  There’s a kilt on the cover!  But really, for some reason this one called to me and it was free, so I gave it a shot. OMG I am so glad I did.  It was just the kind of romance I like, full of angst and emotions, secrets and lies, blame and forgiveness, Scottish accents (yum), sexy times, an engaging story, and characters I cared about and rooted for. Feels people, full of feels. I didn’t want to put it down even though I had to sometimes (stupid work) and was up ‘til 2:00 am this morning to finish it.

Playing for Keeps is a full size novel with an HEA, a story that will pull you in, and a romance that will melt your heart. I’ve already bought the second book. This is why I read indie books and suffer the slush, because I never know when I will stumble on a gem. It’s the bestest feeling ever discovering a new-to-me favorite. I now have a new author and series to follow.  Looking forward to spending time with the rest of the Glasgow Lads. HEAs for everybody! :)