Review: DNF at 30% - Death, the Devil, and the Goldfish by Andrew Buckley

Death, the Devil, and the Goldfish - Andrew  Buckley

BOOK BLURB:

From the Bahamas to Heathrow airport, to the rain soaked streets of London the dead have ceased dying.

This is inconvenient for a number of reasons but what’s the real reason behind the chaos?

In London we find Nigel Reinhardt, a disgraced, confused, and gifted London police constable who owns a prophetic goldfish. In Ireland the Angel of Death questions the value and position of his current employment. At Majestic Technologies Celina McMannis works diligently on a top secret project. At the South Pole there lives a very unhappy penguin.

When the Devil hatches a nefarious plot to take over the world by possessing a cute little kitty and seizing a factory of robotic Christmas elves it’s up to Nigel and his group of unlikely companions to save the world or die trying… or both.

REVIEW:
I tried. I really did. I really, really wanted to like this book. I was determined to give it at least 30% in the hope it would suddenly pick up. I left it on my "currently reading" shelf for months and months until I finally forced myself to read that last 2%. If I have to force myself to read just 2% of a book then it's time to call it quits.

The cover hooked me right away and the blurb sounded fun.  But... I dunno, maybe I am just not into comic fantasy as much as I used to be. The mechanics of the writing were fine but the story just b o r e d me. There were only a couple of scenes I enjoyed like the one where Death was in the Irish pub and also the few short scenes with the devil as a cat. The rest just dragged for me and the narrative seemed to ramble off onto a lot of tangents that just didn't strike me as funny at all. I found myself constantly wishing it would get back to a scene with Death or the Devil in cat form. I think I'm going to have to read a Pratchett or Rankin book soon to see if it is me growing out of this genre or if it's just this book that doesn't appeal to me.  :(